Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Kids are funny

My student's writing has cracked me up lately...
One girl wrote about her Christmas. "My funniest present was a beer box. You will never guess what was in the box. It wasn't beer, but the tiger I really wanted! My sister's favorite gift was a bear that glows. She named it Gloria, which is really dumb if you ask me, but she loves it."

Another wrote, "My mom and dad are my heroes because they keep me safety. If there is ever a broken they called the fire department." At first it made me cringe, then I had to laugh because that is how she talks. One day she said, "I'm gonna getter after school cuz my mom axed me to." The kids asked me if "getter" is a word. I said, "No, GET HER is." I am always after her to stop talking like a hillbilly, so now the kids are tattling on her for not talking right.

I had the kids write a letter to their parents today for their conferences which start tomorrow night. I had them write about what they like about school (me). What their favorite thing about third grade is (everything I do and say). As well as what they are learning about (how to hang on every word Mrs. Fairfield says). Last month when we did letter writing I talked about how you don't want to sign it "Love" unless you know the person well and actually love them. One girl came up to me when she was done with her letter to show me. I read it and she said, "I don't know what to say, like I don't want to say love, because I don't know her that well..." I replied, "Who your mom??" She said, "Oh ya, right," and walked away.

It is conference time and... wait for it.... I AM NOT SICK!!!! It has to be some sort of record!! Actually I am way too busy to be sick right now anyway.

I will leave you with thoughts to think:
If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.

No comments: