Tuesday, August 19, 2014

My First Official Day Thoughts

  •       6:00 alarm, you are my EVEREST.
  •       Snooze.
  •       Snooze.
  •       FINE. But only for the children.
  •       At least I can finally take this mountain of school stuff that’s been sitting in my bedroom all summer.
  •       Okay, what to wear... Betting my summer uniform would be frowned upon, as it does not involve pants.
  •       Should I even try to look somewhat decent, or stick with comfy-casual?

Arguments for looking decent
Arguments for comfy-casual
-There might be new people whom you don’t want to think you’re a slovenly old bag
-Comfortable. So, so comfortable.
-Takes almost zero time.
-You can dress up one day, take a picture of yourself, make copies of it, and distribute to the new people that serve both as gifts and proof that sometimes you don’t look like a slovenly old bag.
  • Comfy-casual it is!
  • Should I wear my ID? 
  • District policy says yes, but is that even for in-service? 
  • What if I’m the only one wearing one? 
  • Will people think I’m a suck-up if I’m wearing it? 
  • Or what if I’m the only one NOT wearing it? 
  • I’ll bring it.
  • Oh well, can’t find it anyway, so that idea’s out.
  • I wonder if anyone got plastic surgery over the summer.
  • What? Why is there traffic?
  • Oh, because it’s in-service and I’m going to work at a normal human time instead of negative fifty o’clock.
  • I wonder what they will have for breakfast.
  • I hope banana bread.
  • I hope Dt. Mt. Dew.
  • I hope a gourmet omelet station.
  • I hope a crown royal and keg of beer.
  • Hahaha.
  • But seriously, I hope there’s banana bread.
  • Please, God, if you love me at all, make this a classroom workday.
  • YES. KATY PERRY. This is my JAM.
  • Aaaand I’m behind that one math teacher I don’t know at a red light. 
  • Did he see me singing ultra-seriously by myself in my car as I was pulling up?
  • Awkward. Don’t make eye contact. Play it cool. Drink your pop.
  • Where are we even supposed to be meeting?
  • I’m just going to follow the herd.
  • AHHHH SO MANY PEOPLE.
  • And they’re all wearing their IDs. Perfect.
  • Would it be weird to feign illness and hide in my car?
  • I bet I could do a reasonably believable impression of fainting.
  • Okay, it’s fun to see people again. Good job, self. You’re being normal.
  • Uh-oh. All this interaction with people is making me sweaty.
  • Hello, nice to meet you, my name is Ms Clammyhands.
  • Banana Bread!!!!!
  • Just realized that all my conversations with people sound like this: “HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!” “It’s so good to see you!” “How was your summer?!” “Do you know if we get to work in our rooms today or not?”
  • Oh, dear. The Back-to-School speeches/PowerPoints have begun.
  • Time for me to pretend like I’m taking notes on this legal pad.
  • What should I get at the grocery store?
  • What do I need to buy at Home Depot to be able to fix that broken metal bookshelf in my classroom that is waiting to give me tetanus?
  • What do I want to name my children if I were to have one more boy, or a girl?
  • What will I name my future pets?
  • Where will we eat lunch today?
  • I seriously can not name a single one of my own children's teachers. 
  • Oh well, middle school and high school don't count that much. 
  • Let’s doodle a crossbow-wielding panda.
  • Geez, who is talking behind me? That’s so rude to talk when someone’s presenting.
  • It’s also probably rude to be doodling crossbow-wielding pandas.
  • Oh, an inspirational video!
  • I AM TOTALLY READY TO TEACH THIS YEAR!!!!!
  • I think I’m easily inspired.
  • I think that means I would make a good cult member.
  • Drink the kool-aid.
  • I better make sure my principal sees me here so I get credit for being here.
  • I don't want to make a scene, but how do I get her attention?
  • YES! Classroom workday! Thank you, teaching gods!
  • I’m taking another banana bread on my way out
There you have it. My first day...

No comments: