Sunday, November 30, 2008

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree...

Sticking to holiday tradition, we decorated for Christmas yesterday. I have fond memories of decorating my parents house and I wanted to take more of an active role than my parents did so my kids could have even better memories. However, this is how the night went:
Me- Sam! stopping chewing on the cord!
Me- SAM! NO!!
Me- Ethan, stop complaining
Me- Max! We don't eat the Christmas tree
Me- SAM! NO!!
Me- Ethan- stop whining
Me- Ethan, quit it!
Me- You change your attitude right now mister, or you are going straight to bed!
Me- SAM!!
Me- Someone put Sam outside
Me- Ethan, I swear to God, if you don't stop juggling the Christmas balls right now, you are going to bed!
Me- Why don't we have any flippin' Christmas music?! Who broke the CD player?!
Me- Let Sam in
Me- Ethan!!! WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN!
Me- Ethan! Settle down!
Me- Sam bring back the beads that go on the tree.
Me- No Max the bulbs are not a toy...
Me- Ethan! Go to your room!!
Ethan- I'm bored...
Me- I don't care if you're bored in there!!
Me- Ethan, the Christmas tree box is not a place for you to hide in!
Me- GET OUT OF THERE!!!
Me- We'll finish tomorrow.
To be fair, it IS Max and Sam's first Christmas, so they are bound to be a little curious. However, I think I just need to admit that Ethan has three distinct personalities, two of which drive me absolutely crazy. When he is in his "mood", he is an angry little man, and there is no getting out of it. He whines, complains, yells at Noah and Sam. Basically is Mr. Negativity. His second 'mood' is incredibly WILD. This has emerged since the beginning of Kindergarten. I don't want to point fingers, but the next-door neighbor is incredibly wild, and he is in Ethan's class; coincidence? I don't think so. When he is wild, he yells, shouts, runs, hollers, can not settle down to save his life, and does annoying things. The third Ethan is my Ethan. He is sweet, calm, cuddly, hilariously funny and a good boy. He draws and writes letters to mommy. I know he gets wild when he is tired, and he gets angry when he plays too many video games. His father does not agree, but a mom knows best. Maybe we need to cut out playstation and back-up bedtime. Noah helped until he got sick of it and started watching tv. Anyway, we have two trees up, minus other decorations that I need to put up today.
So once again, I won't waste my time hangin' around the mailbox for my mother of the year award. Why is it when you try to make a nice moment with your kid, it rarely turns out how you wanted it to? Noah gets distracted by sports, or talking about sports, or someone wearing a hockey jersey. Ethan, well you aren't sure which Ethan as going to show up. Later on we watch ELF. I think that made nice memories. I didn't use the phrase "I swear to God...." at least. For my out-of-state followers, it is snowing. It'll be a white Christmas after all.
As I write this, Sam keeps climbing on the tree. I yell, "SAM! NO!" and Ethan says, "mommy, he just wants to be on the tree because it's beautiful." There's my Ethan. Isn't he sweet?







No comments: