Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Snow Day/ PJs and Do What I Want Day

Sleet, freezing rain, snow and wind is not what people think of when they think about March. "Mad basketball games", grass, and short drunk angry men dressed in green accusing everyone of wanting their gold is what we think of. We knew about this winter storm since Monday. It was supposed to hit yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon and last through tonight. It did sprinkle on and off all day yesterday and at about 4:30 it started sleeting and raining ice pellets. The ice pellets quickly accumulated to about 3 inches by 6:30. It was really windy, but ice pellets are pretty heavy so they didn't fly very far. By Tuesday night they closed the interstate and I went to bed thinking, "I really don't want a snow day. That means we won't get Easter Monday off. I want a four day weekend! However, wouldn't a two-hour-late be wonderful? We would get to skip Morning Meeting plus (a half hour of teaching students in grades K-4 who are not in your class about good character). Mine do not answer or participate AT ALL. I swear I could ask, "Who wants ice- cream?!" and no one would raise their hand. Anyway, we'd skip Morning Meeting Plus AND not have to make up a snow day! Win-win!! However, I quickly realized that we are still expected to get to school at the regular time if school is two-hours late (I'm guessing it's in case some parents didn't get the memo that school is two hours late and send their kids anyway). That led me to wonder, how will I get to school in the morning? I fell asleep at 9:30 with my phone next to me. If school is two hours late, or if it's canceled, we get a phone call telling us. Every time I turned over or half woke up I thought, 'where in the hell is my damn phone call'. My alarm went off at 6:15. I got up and started getting ready. I can always tell if we'll have a late start or cancellation based on if I can see the houses across the golf-course in my back yard. I could not only see the houses, but if I squinted, I could maybe make out who built a snowman in their back yard. Just as I was about to step into the shower my phone rang. "This is the district office. All school and after-school activities have been canceled for the day". YAY!!! SNOW DAY- also known as 'pj wearing, staying in bed or big comfy chair, and doing only what I want day.' I went back to bed and slept until 10:00. I was hoping I'd wake up at 8:00 so I could wake the kids saying, "Oh NO! We are late for school!! GET UP!" Hee hee. It's a little game I like to play on snow days. Anyway, I slept for 12 and 1/2 hours. What's with that? I checked on the Internet to see if maybe that's another symtom of a disease I might have that also causes me to be impatient, gain weight, and want never leave the house. Turns out stress causes all of those as well as "D-SOWS"- Damn Sick Of Winter Syndrome. Huh. Now that I know I'm not dying I am going to eat a cookie and take a nap. After all, it IS "do what I want day" and the high temperature for today is zero.

No comments: