Sunday, September 9, 2012

Happy Birthday Ethan

Ethan is 10 years old. I don't have any kids in single digits anymore. I'll only have him for another nine years. I miss him already. I knew at the end the of Summer of 2011, it would be my last summer of my baby and me. This last summer he hung out with me, but I know he secretly wanted to be with his friends. A year ago I was his best friend. Now he tells me Abby and I are neck and neck in the running of his best friend that's a girl. I did remind him that I carried him for nine months and changed his diapers, got up in the middle of the night, and I buy him stuff. But he said Abby is softer. On his birthday we made cupcakes when I got home from school, then he opened his presents. He is getting so grown-up. It makes me sad. I have to remind him that he used to love me so much he said when I die, he'd bury me in the back yard, so he can dig me up every day to see me. Now he says "that's really gross". I thought it was sweet. Every once in awhile I see a snipit of little Ethan. The little "Bonk-O-Zonks" in front of him are one inch plastic figures. He made a tournament of them racing the other night and he was talking for them, to himself, and cheering for them. It made me smile. Ethan is a good kid. He's so sensitive to other people hurting, he's so sweet, and smart and funny. He loves animals and his big brother so much. The other day he told me he didn't know if he wanted to be a vet, or basketball player when he grows up. I told him he should be a pediatrician, and he said, "I really don't like a lot of kids that much..."  Ethan is still my buddy. I love him so much. I'll try to keep him little as long as I can.

No comments: