Saturday, April 25, 2009

Poor Sam(antha)

Sammy got neutered on Wednesday. Poor puppy. When I first got Abby, and was looking into getting her "fixed", I read all kinds of articles that said, "it'll change their personality". I absolutely loved her the way she was, I didn't want her to change. I was a little bit anxious about doing it, so I put it off until after she went into heat once. In hindsight I wish I didn't get her fixed, I wish I would have let her and Maxine have puppies- imagine how perfect those puppies would be! Except then I'd probably have six dogs right now instead of three. When both Max and Abby got fixed, they laid around for three days afterwards, hiding, not eating and super quiet. I assume it was because of the drugs. I was looking forward to a little quiet time from Sam. I could use three days of Sam laying around. Apparently liquor store dogs bounce back quickly after being drugged, probably because their mom was drunk a lot while she was pregnant. While leaving the vet he jumped right up in the car and has been running ever since. It didn't slow him down in the least. In fact, I think it made him faster. He probably thinks, "thank goodness I don't have those heavy things weighing me down anymore- now I can go FAST!" Yesterday morning Max was standing in the middle of the yard and Sam ran full speed at him and hurdled Max. Then he turned around and did it again. He kept running at and hurdling little Maxine. I think he is training to be one of those dogs that are in contests where they time how fast they can go through the obstacle course. I am so glad Sammy has plans for the future.
Noah asked why Sam had surgery on his "butt". I figured he is old enough now, so I told him it wasn't his butt, they took his balls out. I have never seen Noah look so horrified! He asked "but why would they do that?" I told him so he won't find a wife and have puppies, he replied, "I thought you just prayed really hard and God gives you a baby." Like the good mom I am, I said, "It's different with dogs- they can't pray." Poor Noah, he is going to be so screwed up- and hopfully not a parent in the seventh grade. But hey- I thought until the summer of eighth grade if you have three kids, you had sex exactly three times, and look at me- I'm normal.

3 comments:

Lydia said...

Its funny that Sam and Lucy(Emily's dog) dont look a whole lot alike. Same coloring, but that is about it. Does having 3 dogs drive you nuts at times? We have 2 and are fostering one. Wow. Its alot of work.

ssne said...

Just in the last few weeks I have been getting really impatient with them. Sam didn't want to pee outside because there was no snow to pee on. Now he is wild and Abby keeps hiding under the bed. I am worried about her always hiding. I am getting sick of giving them baths twice a week, and letting them out constantly...

jill said...

I'm waiting for your comments regarding the forum article this weekend about giftcards being given out to parents for getting their kids to school!