Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Look Mom, No Cast!!

Ethan got his cast off on Monday. Hopefully we can beat the record of 14 days free of a cast for him. Getting the pins out was defiantly traumatic for Ethan. They did not "put him to sleep" like I thought they would. The doctor just grabbed a pliers and yanked them out while Ethan screamed bloody murder. He asked me later why the doctor didn't sedate him. I told him, "well, it's hard on your body to be sedated" (so says the woman who needs Ambian to sleep). Ethan said, "You should have told him I needed to be asleep. I could have growed ya know!" Telling the kids they grow when they sleep is my way to get them to go to bed without whining. To celebrate his free arm, I told Ethan I would buy him some new Pixos. Pixos are little tiny bee-bees that you put together in a pattern, spray with water and you have the object. I thought it would encourage him to use both arms, lessening the chance he'd need physical therapy. Ethan was so excited we were going to Target and realized he had money burning a hole in his piggy bank, he wanted to take all of his money with. We counted his money. He had $31.76. He brought $31.76 with him to the store. Noah has had Target gift cards since his birthday in April. He brought those and $15.00. Noah, unlike Ethan, probably has the very first $5.00 bill he was given. What started out to be a trip to buy Ethan Pixos ($8.00), ended up with me spending lots more than eight dollars and nothing was for me! Somehow, Noah picked out two games and a Webkinz, but even with two math genius kids and a mom with her master's, we could not add well enough to realize he was $15.00 short. Ethan picked out two packs of Pokie Mon cards and two webkinz. He ended up with a dollar 57 as change, then he offered to spend that 1.57 on gum for Noah "cuz he ranned out of all his money" and of course it would bug Ethan to no end having a dollar 57 just sitting there in his piggy bank. Noah brought up the fact that I bought something for Ethan when I told him he had to pay back the $15.00, so we compromised on him paying back $10.00. Apparently at the time I forgot about the hundreds of dollars we lay down for his sports, gear, etc...
Ethan's doctor told him "No flag football." Poor kid. He didn't want to play tee-ball and I made him. All he wanted to do this summer was Ty Kwon Doe, and he couldn't. He was really looking forward to flag football, but now he has to wait until next year. The doctor says his arm won't be completely healed for another three months at least. So I am thinking by Christmas he can be rough and tumble again. Noah started football. He looks so big in his actual equipment. He practices three times a week and has games on Saturdays. He ends his practices with a shower and the nightly ritual of counting his new bruises. Last night his legs ached and Ethan's elbow hurt and I happened to be on the phone with my friend Stacy. She has a hot tub, so she invited us out to her house today for the boys to "swim" in it.
Last Saturday I went to use my phone and the hinge broke so it was in two pieces. I went to Verizon to see if I was due for an upgrade, and thankfully I was. However, an upgrade costs at least sixty bucks. I told him I wanted the same phone, just traded in. Nope, that was 65.00. So I ended up with a really crappy phone that was 19.00. It is a huge downgrade. It does nothing. I like to have songs for each person's ringtone. Not anymore. I have exactly three ringtones to pick from and can not get songs on it, not even the ones I downloaded on my old phone. My old phone had a few games on it. This one has nothing. In fact, when someone (on my contact list) calls, their number and where they are calling from comes up, but not there name. The worst thing about this phone is everyone breaks up on it. Listening to people is like listening to the TV when someone is pushing the mute button really fast repeatedly. I am torn between taking it back and backing down from my belief that I am not paying 60.00 for a "free upgrade", and sucking it up, paying the 65.00 and getting the same phone I had. To upgrade to the one I really want, with the slider key pad, I'd have to shell out an extra 100.00. I think the "free upgrade" is false advertising.
Thoughts that I think: I LOVE hot weather. Where is the global warming?

4 comments:

Emily said...

They look so grown up! Hope you're all ready for school to start. Don't miss me too much :)

ssne said...

Emily- I mis you VERY much!! I got my list of students and half of them have a file three inches thick...
I am so excited for you and your new job!!

Julie said...

Let's hope Ethan does not ever need a cast again! With all that Ambian, It's amazing you're not 10 feet tall by now! I imagine that Noah is loving the tackle football. Wasn't it just yesterday he wanted to marry me?

ssne said...

I know! I think he has forgiven Al thought for stealing his bride.